4.09.2010

what happened??

Old-time etiquette is disappearing. Sad to say. With each generation, we are seeing less and less of the common rules of courtesy. People don't say thank you much, don't open doors, don't write handwritten notes like they used to, and don't even give the "litte wave" when you let them out in traffic!! Just the basics are starting to disappear.

Last night at my daughter's second-grade school program I noticed this PROBLEM of our society. Sitting behind me was a child (old enough to know better) playing his PlayStation with volume on high. No earphones. No mute. Just playing loudly while the program was going on. His mom sitting beside him. I could barely hear the presentation because of his violent game playing in my ear! I thought **I need to ASK him to mute his game, no I need to TELL him to mute his game, how rude!** Then I thought **No....mind your own business, Stay out of it, you will get violent** Luke, my husband, would be happy that I minded my own business; however, today I wish I would have spoke up! :)

Then, as I was looking around the room I noticed the MOTHERS and FATHERS were just as disrespectful as the kiddos!! Texting, taking on their phones, smacking gum (my dad even noticed that one!), etc... What is going on!? The kids have seen this growing up, and now think it is normal. We have got to get some manners! If people want to act that way at home, fine. But in a public setting, a presentation afterall, there needs to be some respect for the presenter AND the precious kids who have prepared for this special day!

So, enough of my venting.

Here is helpful link, from the queen of etiquette - Emily Post, if you think you are "one of those" parents. :) OR, if you just want to read up on modern etiquette.

Kids can even use this site for prom etiquette, cell-phone manners, etc!

1 comment:

Morgan said...

I totally agree with that! And I love Emily Post. :)